Search This Blog

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Introduction to "The Dry Rub"

Warning:  The following may not be suitable for children under the age of 13, vegetarians and people that consume frozen drinks.  Everybody else, welcome aboard.

I've been giving my unsolicited food opinions for so long I decided to share them with the world or the 5 people who will be reading this. If you want standard restaurant opinions please stop reading. If you want a good steak in Atlanta, go to Bones. That's like saying that new BMW 5 series is a good looking car or that Brooklyn Decker is hot. Though if you want great Lobster Bisque you do need to try it at Bones. Did I just break my rule at paragraph 2? 
You will not find anything on chain restaurants, just like the movie Prometheus they visually look great but the ingredients will most often disappoint. Though I am partial to Houston's if you HAVE to do a chain (I just did it again!).
I myself am fallible as well. Two weeks ago at the Fisherman's Wharf in San Fran I had a "shrimp" dish that had shrimp so small I felt empathy for what midgets must feel like in a pick up hoops game at the YMCA. I fell for the tourist trap and I knew it. But what the hell., I was hungry and the beer was cold.
I am not a great cook, but I do know a good meal when I have one.
So why am I doing this?  I have become friends with somebody who runs http://ranchout.blogspot.com/ and I helped her out with a project and thought it would be fun!
I will have restaurant reviews, trip reviews and just general thoughts on food and maybe touch on life in general.
For example:  When ordering food keep it simple. If you go to the Vortex, order a hamburger don't get cute even if the fish basket sounds good. If you're in Italy order a basic gelato, the special flavors all suck. Trust me. If you take a date to the Lobster Bar and she orders a salad, relationship OVER don't pass go do not collect $200 and don't get dessert. In fact give her cab fare home.
I also would like to help tragedies like Chopstix in Buckhead from closing.  Best Americanized Chinese in Atlanta closed after 20-ish years of delicious food.  It's still too soon to talk about it for me. 
                                                                          RIP  Chopstix
So join me and hopefully I can make you laugh or even piss you off.  Either way, let me know!

2 comments:

  1. RIP Stix... you will be missed more than you'll ever know. Jonesy have to disagree with the Lobster Bar comment. If I take a girl there and she only orders a $12 salad I'll probably try to marry her!

    ReplyDelete