Search This Blog

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Nuevo Laredo- Atlanta's Best Mexican

Warning:  The following may be unsuitable for children under 13 and people don’t appreciate the genius that is Sly Stallone
People say you can’t f*ck up Mexican Food.  They also used to say Sly Stallone couldn’t make a bad movie in the 80’s, but then “Rhinestone” and “Over the Top” came out and blew that theory out of the water.  Then the rest of his career unfolded ("Stop or My Mom Will Shoot," "Oscar) and the wheels came completely off until the new Rocky and Rambo movies came out only to be followed up by “The Expendables” and guess what?  Sly’s back baby! 
Stallone:  “Hey Yo, Trucks and Arm Wrestling?  I don’t see how this can’t work?!?!?”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GZjXVe7GhY
Did anybody ever notice that in Rambo III, he actually teams up with the Taliban to defeat the Evil Russians?  I bet those Producers wish they could take that one back.  The other “cinematic mulligan” that comes to mind is OJ Simpson as Officer Nordberg in the “Naked Gun.”  I'm still not sure if either of these are worse than Sofia Coppola in the Godfather III.
A pic of OJ’s relentless pursuit of the true killer.  Oh wait…..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n08mNz9f0FQ
Nuevo Laredo is the best Mexican in the City.  Thursday thru Saturday, the line’s not out the door, people are tailgating to wait for a table.  Personally, I’ve been there way too many times since it’s close to where I live.  They are famous for their Chicken Mole sauce which is delicious, but not my favorite.  The apps are good, but they don’t differentiate themselves from other restaurants.
In the era of “Taqueria’s,” they may actually have my favorite tacos.  With all due respect to Hankook and Taqueria Del Sol.  Their Tacos de Carne Asada are real meat cooked medium in a delicious chipotle sauce that packs a nice punch.  But I LOVE their Tacos de Cameron, the Shrimp is almost blackened which provides a great smoky taste.  If you’re not too hungry, this is what I’d recommend. 
Their Barbacoa Brisket is delicious too and has a great smoky taste, but I don’t think the mashed potatoes is the best companion for these.  Now the Steak Diablo is to die for.  It’s lean strips of steak in their homemade red chili sauce.  This is the definition of flavor.  But fair warning, your stomach will be burning for hours.  But it’s worth it.  The same goes for their Shrimp Diablo as well.
They also have my favorite Chili Relleno’s in the ATL as well.  The Poblano pepper dish is one of the more generous portions of this dish you would ever see as well.  Prior to meeting my friend Dan Martinez, I had never had a “true” tamale until I came here.  This is actually how they are supposed to be made.  And their red tamale sauce is the perfect compliment (kind of like Carl Weathers in Rocky 1 and 2).
Their Shrimp Tampico is another delicious and generously portioned dish as well.  But, I will digress and say I do not care for their “Cadillac Crab Cakes” or “Lobster Taco’s.”  I think they are reaching a little here.  By the way, I have a new favorite Atlanta Lobster Roll.  Check out the Big Ketch on Roswell Road in Buckhead.  You’re welcome.
And if you make it on a Saturday morning, check out the Huevos Mexicano and Huevos Con Chorizo.  One of the best twists to breakfast since “Kegs and Eggs.”
I do love the irony of when they say “Mexican Food Prepared by Mexican Cooks.”  Um, yea that’s unique.
The point is not all Mexican is created equally.  If you don’t know, now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment