Search This Blog

Friday, February 8, 2013

Honey Baked Ham- The Gift that Keeps on Giving

Warning:  The following may not be appropriate for children under the age of 13 or people think jello molds are “quality gifts” (unless you are over the age of 85, even then it's borderline acceptable)

Food can be a great, heart warming gift.  Honey Baked Ham is about the perfect gift for the following:  The Holidays, having a baby (or other assorted hospital stay) and a sick family.  This past week, my wife and all three children came down with the flu.  And we have received some wonderful generosity from many good friends. But I do have to say, the ham is best.
The ham is like a great utility baseball player, it’s good for A LOT of things regardless of the time.  Breakfast, yep.  Throw it on the side with some eggs and toast.  Lunch, hells yes.  I picked up some fresh onion rolls, American cheese AND some  “sassy” Horseradish sauce. 
It’s just about the perfect sandwich.  Why?  Because it’s a highly “repeatable” sandwich.  For some reason I NEVER tire of this sandwich.  And for dinner, you can match the ham with about a dozen things and it’s perfect.  Me?  I’ll probably make the horseradish sandwich again.  For the holiday’s it’s an absolute no brainer, though I will admit that I’m not a big Turkey guy.

So thank you to the Parhams and Flemings for sending this ray of sunshine to our house.

The Sports Equivalent of Honey Baked Ham?  Lenny Sakata.  This guy played EVERY regular position on the field INCLUDING catcher.  And he could rock the Chemistry Teacher glasses while playing professional baseball.  He was also the starting Shortstop when Cal Ripken began his consecutive games streak (at third base). 
Did I mention he’s in the Hawaiian Sports Hall of Fame?   I looked at this list and I may know 5 of these names.  None which I knew were actually Hawaiian.  Sid Fernandez, really? 

The musical equivalent would have to be Dave Grohl.  This guy can do anything and excels at it.

Successful Movie Director?  Check

Front Man for One of the Worlds Biggest Rock Bands?  Check
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PkcfQtibmU

Successful Drummer for Queens of the Stone Age, Them Crooked Vultures and some other Indi/ Alt Rock Band you may have heard of?  Check
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xeasq05zxc

A great all around actor that could do it all?  Robert Wagner?  I mean the guy killed his wife and got away with it for over 30 years.  Now that’s acting!  Plus he played the underrated #2 in Austin Powers!?!?!

So if you have a family member or friend who is in need and won’t have time to cook for a while?  Send them a Honey Baked Ham!  And then let me know where they live so I can crash the party!  I’ll bring the Horseradish.

No comments:

Post a Comment