Search This Blog

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Cinco y Diez in Athens, GA

Warning:  The following may be inappropriate for children under the age of 13 and those who don't enjoy roasted oysters

Check out and "like" our new-ish FB page as well:  https://www.facebook.com/TheDryRub

Our latest adventure brought us back to Athens, GA for a speaking engagement.  You know I will always wrap a great meal around any type of traveling.  We also invited some of our Grady School Advertising students as well.  In fact my man Elliot Strauss, who created our new logo, was in attendance.  The food pics were also taken by my mentee Cara.  So if you notice the food pics are much improved, that's why.

These students are so much more responsible than I was, which is setting the bar fairly low
Cinco y Diez is the latest collaboration between Hugh Acheson and Melissa Clegg whom brought us five & ten.  They brought on board Whitney Otawka, former executive chef at Farm 255, who was featured on Bravo’s “Top Chef."

We started out with the roasted oysters with adobo butter and masa crumble.  It was delicious.  Not quite Drago's in New Orleans, but probably as good as you could get east of the Mississippi. My love affair with oysters goes back to 4th grade, so I started on these things early.  I feel bad for folks that can't eat any incarnation of one of natures best foods.  I definitely have fallen for roasted oysters, though raw is still the best way to go.

It's as good as it looks
The ceviche with red snapper was good too and packed a nice little punch.



The Huarache might have been my favorite dish of the night.  I was chorizo, potato, salsa verde, quail egg and ricotta.

MVP of the night
I also ordered the Braised Neck Lamb Barbacoa Taco and that was friggin' delicious.  It may have to go into the "Best Taco" contest I've been threatening to have for the last year.  It was so good, and I might have had a few drinks at this point, I forgot to get a picture.

Aesthetically they did a wonderful job.  Here are a couple of more pics.




Overall, this was a great dining experience.  If you are in Athens and are looking for something a little different and a nice latin flair, Cinco y Diaz should be your choice.

Today's Footnote:  Athen's is a great culinary town.  I still have yet to hit 5 & 10, which will have to be my next stop when I'm back there later this spring.

Below is a shot with some of our Mentee's from UGA this year.  If you are in advertising and are interested being an Advertisting Mentor starting in August, please feel free to contact me.  This pic was taken from a fundraiser we did for Mary Lindemulder who lost her leg in Atlanta's January snow storm.  To find out how you can help Mary go to http://www.gofundme.com/6p5mw0 or www.abac-online.org



We are still looking for a new Tournament to do.  "Best Taco in Atlanta" seems to be the clubhouse leader.  Let me know your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment